IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (LTSC)
Creating Learning Technology Standards
The IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (LTSC) is chartered by the IEEE Computer Society Standards Activity Board to develop internationally accredited technical standards, recommended practices, and guides for learning technology.
The IEEE LTSC follows an open and transparent, formal standards development process.
The IEEE LTSC coordinates with other organizations, both formally and informally, that produce specifications and standards for learning technologies.
The IEEE LTSC is governed by a Sponsor Executive Committee (SEC) consisting of working group chairs and elected officers.
Membership is by individual and free. Members gain access to Working Group(WG), Study Group(SG), and Technical Advisory Group(TAG) documents, email reflectors, vote on draft standards and participate in ballot resolution. Individuals interested in participating are encouraged to contact the relevant WG, SG, and TAG chairs.
The IEEE LTSC Policies and Procedures are available here: C_LT.pdf
Accredited Learning Technology Standards
The IEEE LTSC has developed a number of internationally accredited standards.
Published standards include:
- 1484.1-2003 IEEE Standard for Learning Technology-Learning Technology Systems Architecture (LTSA)
- 1484.11.1-2004 IEEE Standard for Learning Technology-Data Model for Content to Learning Management System Communication
- 1484.11.2-2003 IEEE Standard for Learning Technology-ECMAScript Application Programming Interface for Content to Runtime Services Communication
- 1484.11.3-2005 IEEE Standard for Learning Technology-Extensible Markup Language (XML) Schema Binding for Data Model for Content Object Communication
- 1484.12.1-2002 IEEE Standard for Learning Object Metadata
- 1484.12.3-2005 IEEE Standard for Learning Technology-Extensible Markup Language (XML) Schema Definition Language Binding for Learning Object Metadata
- 1484.13.1-20012 IEEE Standard for Conceptual Model for Resource Aggregation for Learning, Education, and Training
- 1484.20.1-2007 IEEE Standard for Learning Technology - Data Model for Reusable Competency Definitions
These standards are available for purchase from the IEEE.
IEEE LTSC Working Groups, Study Groups, Technical Advisory Groups
Working Groups develop accredited standards. Study Groups investigate the feasibility of new standardization projects. Technical Advisory Groups produce documents that are not standards on specialized topics.
Active IEEE LTSC groups include:
- Resource Aggregation Models for Learning, Education and Training, WG13: Chair: Kerry Blinco
SPONSOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Chair: Tyde Richards
- Vice Chair: Avron Barr
- Secretary: Fanny Klett
- Treasurer: Scott Lewis
- Information Officer: Tom King
- Chair: Tyde Richards [tyderichards < at > gmail.com]
- Chair WG13 (RAMLET): Kerry Blinco [kerry.blinco < at > iinet.net.au]